Cranberry Lassi: Think Pink for Valentine's Day


Pregnant women are especially prone to urinary tract infections (UTI), particularly during weeks 6-24, according to the American Pregnancy Association. Cranberries are a natural way to avoid these painful bladder infections: the fruit contains a substance that helps stop bacteria from sticking to the walls of your bladder.


I thought it would be fun to incorporate cranberries in a twist on the lassi, a tangy, delicious Indian drink. It's a bit thinner than a smoothie, but just as satisfying:


Cranberry Lassi

  • 1 cup plain kefir (or yogurt)
  • 1 cup frozen cranberries, partially thawed
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 4 tsp honey or agave nectar (to taste)
  • 1-2 Tbs cranberry juice concentrate (available at health food stores)

Blend until smooth and frothy, like this:
This yields about 16 ounces; my husband and I split it and each had a glass for breakfast. It's a bit tart and very refreshing. 


Of course, this drink is not only good for your urinary tract, but your digestive tract. Whether you use kefir or yogurt, you'll be getting lots of beneficial bacteria for your tummy!

Comments

  1. It looks great! I'm going to try it. My empty belly likes such things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this sounds really good! i have a whole bag of cranberries in the freezer, still, from the holidays.

    also, i've been slow to get on the kefir wagon... i don't know why but i always get flummoxed when confronted with kefir choices at the store!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mel - let me know if you try it.

    Nancy - I usually just buy plain, organic kefir. I drink it but also use it for pancakes...makes them crazy light and fluffy. If you ever get into it, i'll get you some "seeds" from my mom; she makes her own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. justine, I just read a very helpful post on the Mothering.com forums about kefir and it talked about making your own. I have a bunch of mason jars that would be perfect for such an endeavor!

    ReplyDelete
  5. it is incredibly easy, as opposed to yogurt (which is kind of a pain). I bet you'll get into it and then you can experiment with different uses, making your own flavors, etc!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know I should know this but is kefir dairy? Just what is it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Detroiter - Kefir is a cultured milk. It's wonderfully healthful, with a much wider range of probiotics than yogurt. And it's easy to make, once you have the seeds: you basically just let it sit on your counter! I use a dairy version, but i have seen Kefir soymilk (and, i think coconut milk) at Whole Foods. You can make your own kefir using plantmilks or even fruit juices, but the seeds won't regenerate in them; you have to keep the seeds in a dairy substance for that. I will do more kefir posts in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  8. FYI: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kefir

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not sure if this is a good place to post a review, but...

    I loved this drink! I couldn't find my agave, so I used stevia instead. I also added whey protein powder. It was FANTASTIC! I liked icy drinks, so my cranberries were frozen. This is a wonderfully refreshing drink. Thanks, Gals!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Has been such a treat for me during my pregnancy and now postpartum period. We have cranberries frozen from fresh from the fall - so fabulous to put them to such good use!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Allison - So glad you're enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a powerful drink!! I have to try, I just love lassi!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds great! If I have a bag of cranberries would I just cook them first? 

    ReplyDelete
  14. You shouldn't have to cook them before eating. You can just wash and dry them, then freeze and use as you need them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts