Strawberry Basil Sorbet (no Ice Cream Maker Necessary!)

I am a big fan of frozen treats, especially in the warm weather months. Now that spring is (finally!) upon us, I thought I'd share this ridiculously easy, astoundingly delicious recipe. Although I do have an ice cream maker -- I told you I like frozen treats -- all you need for this one is a small food processor. So, there are no excuses to run out and buy a pint of sorbet loaded with sugars and junk!


Strawberries are not only juicy and tasty, but they provide potent antioxidants and even act as anti-inflammatories for our bodies. They are a rich source of Vitamin C and a good source of manganese and fiber. However, strawberries have been named to the Environmental Working group's "Dirty Dozen" list because of the high amounts of pesticide residue found on them. For this reason, please always buy only organic strawberries. The great news is that this recipe calls for frozen strawberries; frozen organic produce is usually much more affordable than fresh.


The addition of basil adds gorgeous flavor, as well as some added health benefits. Basil, touted as a "pregnancy superfood" by Fit Pregnancy magazine, provides vitamins A, C, and K, fiber, iron and calcium. We're only using a little in this recipe but, hey, every bit of healthy stuff counts!
Ingredients:
(yield: just under a pint)
  • 1 bag organic strawberries (my bag was 12 oz; 16 oz would be better!), thawed for about a 1/2 hour
  • about 1/4c finely chopped basil leaves
  • 2-3T honey or agave
  • 1t basil oil (optional)
  • balsamic glaze (optional)
Place the strawberries in a food processor. I didn't even need my full-size one; I just used the small bowl food processor that attaches to my blender base. Pulse and process until smooth. Add honey.
I'd been given this lovely bottle of basil oil from a fancy shop; I used a bit of it in the sorbet for extra basil flavor and a bit of fat, but I think you can easily do without it.
Add minced basil.
Puree until thoroughly combined. You should see tiny green specks of basil throughout the sorbet.

The brightness of the strawberries is well-matched to the earthiness of the basil. It's just a lovely combo. If you're so inclined, try drizzling a sweet and tangy balsamic glaze on top. Not only does it taste divine, it looks fabulous. (Have you seen these pictures??)
You can serve the sorbet right out of the food processor or put in the freezer to firm up a bit. Enjoy!

NOTE: My husband - not necessarily the most adventurous eater - said the basil was "kind of weird. Like something they'd serve on Top Chef." If the basil spooks you, try mint instead. But my friend and her toddler daughter ate this happily, with basil!



Comments

  1. I was lucky enough to try this firsthand. Amazingly simple and so refreshing. Even my super picky toddler gobbled it up, including the basil, which is especially noteworthy since she normally avoids anything on the green spectrum. The balsamic glaze is a really nice touch, divine indeed. Thanks Justine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great, thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts