Greek Marinade with Yogurt #FreakyFriday

This simple and delicious Greek Marinade with Yogurt features classic Mediterranean ingredients like olive oil, lemon, and oregano, as well as tangy yogurt. It's perfect when you're grilling meats for easy, summertime dinners.



My blogger buddy—Michaela, from the wonderful An Affair from the Heart—has been organizing these Freaky Friday recipe swaps for a bunch of bloggers. We are each assigned someone else's blog and we select a recipe to try and then share. 


It's a big secret who is assigned to which blog...Until now! I am thrilled to announce that I got Aunt Bee's Recipes! It's a blog I follow and really enjoy. Brandi is the brains behind the recipes: she's a self-taught cook, a cookbook collector, and a stay-at-home mom. 

I've actually already shared my Italian Stuffed Pepper Soup, a recipe inspired by Brandi's own Stuffed Pepper Soup (it's delish, by the way). So, I wanted to try a different recipe this time. Her recent Southwest Salad with Cilantro Lime Vinaigrette looks like a fantastic summer dish, light yet hearty. The Brown Sugar and Lemon Chicken Breast also looks delicious and easy (always a bonus!). But since it's summer and I'm super into grilling right now, I opted to try her Greek Marinade for Chicken, Steak, and Pork.

One thing you'll notice is that there's no salt in this marinade. I've never done a chicken marinade without salt, but I followed Brandi's advice and gave it a shot. It came out juicy and delicious! My recipe is just very slightly adapted from the one on Aunt Bee's Recipes; the one major change is that I replaced half of the oil with plain yogurt. I absolutely love the way that tangy yogurt works to tenderize chicken, so I pretty much always use it when I'm marinating.




Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup plain yogurt
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 3 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 2 Tablespoons dried oregano
  • 2 teaspoons dried parsley
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
  • freshly-ground black pepper
  • fresh parsley and chives, chopped (optional)
  • additional 1/2 lemon

Combine ingredients (except fresh parsley and chives and the 1/2 lemon) in a large, Ziploc-style freezer bag. Add your meat—I used skinless, boneless chicken thighs—and place bag in a large bowl in the refrigerator. Marinate at least a few hours or overnight.

Grill your meat; I like to grill a 1/2 lemon alongside the meat. Once your meat is cooked, squeeze the fresh juice over everything and season to taste with salt. Sprinkle chopped fresh parsley and chives over the top. Dig in and enjoy! 


I served this wonderful Greek-marinated chicken with my Greek Prasini Salad


It was an absolutely perfect summer meal to enjoy out on the deck. And I'm so grateful to Brandi and Aunt Bee's Recipes for the wonderful recipe!


Make sure you check out all the fantastic bloggers participating in Freaky Friday: An Affair from the Heart * A Dish of Daily Life * Aunt Bee’s Recipes * The Devilish Dish * Full Belly Sisters * Cooking on a Budget * A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures * LeMoine Family Kitchen * Lisa's Dinnertime Dish * Tampa Cake Girl * Platter Talk * Take Two Tapas * Who Needs a Cape? * Big Rigs ‘n lil Cookies * Pic Nic   
 

Comments

  1. Oh I am so glad you picked this one! I love the idea of the Greek yogurt in the marinade and will definitely try it next time! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the recipe and for your wonderful blog!

      Delete
  2. I I love to marinate meat before I grill it. I cannot wait to try this marinade on my chicken. Looks and sounds delicious and I will pair with your yummy salad too! ~ Cydnee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marinating just kicks up the flavor and juiciness SO much!

      Delete
  3. This is one of the recipes I have always wanted to try from Brandi's blog too!! Now I know I am!! Thank you for always being a part of our group, Justine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicely done Justine. Love the look of that chicken that's got that good marinade.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This marinade sounds awesome! I'm sure that chicken is bursting with delicious flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful marinade; I love using Greek yogurt for just about anything!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That marinade is really jammed packed full of flavour! I love that :) I bet it really makes the chicken shine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are making this next weekend! I know this marinade will be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Please report back once you've tried this awesomeness :-)

      Delete
  9. I love marinading in yogurt. It makes everything so tender. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Greek marinade and how the yogurt tenderizes the chicken! What a fun dish and I love food on sticks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just love a good marinade, cannot wait to try this version!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What awesome flavors!! Definitely need to grill this chicken up soon!! WOW! Looks perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! So delicious and juicy. Great recipe - this will be my go to all summer!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I CANNOT WAIT to try this! Greek marinade is always so good! This one is definitely going on my must try list!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts