Monday, February 25, 2013

Buffalo Cauliflower Bites w. Yogurt Gorgonzola Dip for #MeatlessMonday

 

My husband and I don't celebrate Valentine's Day in a big way, with fancy dinners and jewelry. But we do make sure to carve out some nice family time. This year, we asked our son what he'd like to do for dinner and he chose the local, family-friendly pub; it's a favorite of his because they have video games, not because the food is so exceptional (it isn't).

We hadn't been there in a while so I was struck by a new menu item: Buffalo Cauliflower "Wings." Any regular readers of this blog already know I'm sort of obsessed with this cruciferous veggie. Cauliflower is packed with goodies like vitamins C and K, as well as folate (so crucial during before conception and in early pregnancy to prevent birth defects), potassium, and manganese; it's also loaded with fiber, promoting digestive health plus satiety. Plus, cauliflower is an incredibly flexible ingredient, so it works as a fabulous low-carb, low-calorie substitute for rice, as an addition to pasta, or even as a faux popcorn!

The "wings" at the pub were yummy, but deep-fried and heavy. I knew I had to make my own at home. I did a quick search and found this version from Peta; it seemed like a great place to start. With a few little changes, it turned out fantastic and truly satisfied that buffalo sauce craving I sometimes get. Hey, I ain't too proud to admit that!

(adapted from Peta.org)

Ingredients
serves 2-4
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup flour*
1 tsp. ground, dried garlic (or garlic powder)
small head of cauliflower, cut into florets (about 4 cups)
1/2 cup hot sauce (I used Frank's)
2T melted butter or coconut oil

*I used this gluten-free baking mix because it's made with rice flour, which is probably the ideal flour for this dish (I didn't have plain rice flour handy). As with tempura, rice flour lends a crispy and light breading to the cauliflower. 



Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.


The mix I used includes almond flour, so that's what those brown specks are.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the water, flour and dried garlic. Dip each floret into the batter, letting the excess drip off. Place the florets on a large, parchment-covered baking sheet. Bake for about 25 minutes.

In the meantime, mix the hot sauce and melted butter together in a small bowl. (I increased the amount of butter from the original recipe because I wanted the bites to be a bit crispier.) Once the cauliflower is baked, brush the sauce on both sides of the florets, making sure they are entirely coated. Put cauliflower back in the oven for 8-10 minutes, until the florets are a bit browned and slightly crunchy.



These are spicy, kids! Make sure you serve them with some celery sticks and Yogurt Gorgonzola Dressing. I'd suggest making the protein- and probiotic-packed dressing without adding salt: the blue cheese** is pretty salty and so is the hot sauce. You can always add salt later, if you feel you need it. If you're looking for a vegan dipping sauce, here's a ranch dressing you might like.



Despite the photo above, I'd recommend using a fork to dip these bites—since these cauliflower bites are boneless (can you imagine if they weren't?! nightmare-worthy!) they aren't as sturdy for dunking as real wings.

The last step in this recipe: DIG IN!


**If you're pregnant and concerned about the blue cheese in the dressing, the CDC recommends choosing only pasteurized blue-veined cheeses, so check your package.


28 comments:

  1. These sound awesome, girls!! Love the kick and spice!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Ally!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hot damn -- I still miss buffalo wings after 9 years as a vegetarian (and I crave the sauce all the time -- I put Red Hot on popcorn a lot, but somehow not the same), and I can't wait to try this! Thanks, FBS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy! These were a big hit. I too used a GF flour and it worked great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so excited to make these! Adding cauliflower, rice flour, hot sauce, and gorgonzola to the shopping list right now. These should be perfect for a fun Thursday night dinner, by then I should finally be out of leftovers from the holiday weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL, I adore leftovers! But, yeah, these will be a fun respite :-)


    Hope your Purim was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you liked them! Thanks so much for taking the time to come back and post a review.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm an omnivore, but i don't want to have to eat deep-fried meat, just to get my Buffalo fix ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this idea! Just saw it on GroO New York's Facebook page and had to come over... so great! ;0).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by and post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh i love buffalo chicken, i'll try it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this spicy healthy dish! I recently acquired a taste for hot stuff and I'm looking for healthy recipes to satisfy my spicy addiction.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The buffalo cauliflower and Gorgonzola dip was so delicious and simple to make. We had it with dinner last night and I woke up this morning craving the delightful spicy cauliflower and tangy Gorgonzola cheese. Guess what I had for breakfast?!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Shonagh @ An Offal ExperimentMarch 3, 2013 at 7:07 AM

    You seriously had me fooled with the picture on pinterest... I thought, why are chicken wings tagged with meatless monday??? This cauliflower and hot sauce lover is definitely going to give this a try. I just fell in love with oven roasted cauliflower the other day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are amazing! I am so happy to have this recipe! Now when I want greasy wings I will just make these. A lot of substitute foods are not good...this one is!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. fullbellysistersMarch 7, 2013 at 5:19 PM

    So glad it fulfilled your craving!

    ReplyDelete
  17. fullbellysistersMarch 7, 2013 at 5:20 PM

    Ha, I was surprised at how much the plate of florets ended up really looking like a plate of wings! Hope you enjoy it when you try it out :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. fullbellysistersMarch 7, 2013 at 5:20 PM

    Hope this works for ya :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. fullbellysistersMarch 7, 2013 at 5:20 PM

    Let us know how you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh YEAH! These look incredible! Thanks for sharing the recipe. I'll be making these asap. *print*

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yay, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Brilliant recipe! I'm obsessed with buffalo sauce on anything, but feel guilty when its on deep fried wings. Can't wait to try.
    GIna
    ZestFloridaFoodie.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Found you through the Sunday Supper Movement Facebook page and boy am I glad I did.... this dip looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  24. thanks so much, hope you enjoy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. can't wait to try this treat-I also love the buffalo wing craving at times!! thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. hope you like them!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Does regular flour work>?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Creative Commons License
Full Belly Sisters Blog by Full Belly Sisters is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License