Peach, Goat Cheese and Honey Crostini

One of the best things about summertime is that it seems every week a new fruit comes into its season, which means it tastes delicious and is more affordable, to boot. You may have noticed at your local market that peaches have recently come in. Does anything taste more summer-rific than a bright, sunny peach? Peaches are a good source of vitamins A and C, and also provide potassium and fiber. They're a perfectly portable snack for moms and kids alike.
Another lovely thing about summer is that you tend to crave lighter foods (and less of them). These crostini -- "little toasts" in Italian -- make a nice after-school snack, appetizer, or even dessert. I make these often for playdates. Whereas a platter of cheese and crackers might have you overindulging, these toasts help you better visualize how much you're actually eating. Plus, they look beautiful; I try as much as possible to make my food look nice, even if I'm the only one eating it. Don't you deserve food that feeds your eyes as well as your belly?

Ingredients:
(makes 12 crostini)
  • 12 slices of a good, crusty baguette
  • about 2.5 ounces goat cheese, softened to room temperature
  • 1 cup diced peaches (about 1 large peach)
  • 1-2T honey

The bakery was out of whole wheat baguettes when I went, so I just got an organic white loaf. I cut the slices about 1/2" thick. (I actually slice the whole loaf and freeze the extras, so I have them on hand for the next time I want to whip up a batch.)


Put the slices in your oven and toast until crisp and lightly browned. If you're doing some backyard grilling, toast the bread on your barbecue. I just used my toaster oven, so I didn't have to heat up my kitchen on a hot day:



In the meantime, dice your peach. The pieces don't have to be perfect...this is a rustic dish. 
Spread goat cheese on the toasts and top each with a spoonful of peaches. I like to line them all up on a large plate or cutting board and drizzle the honey over the lot of them.




The little bit of honey lends a fabulous sweetness and flavor, as well as a gorgeous glaze. 


 Look how glossy those peaches look!




Comments

  1. from the FBS Facebook page:
    Jennifer Chin
    I made the FBS crostini for a small dinner party last night and what a hit!! Instead of peach, I substituted a perfectly ripe red anjou pear because that's what looked the best at the farmer's market. My guests were blown away and said the crostini were beautiful and ate them all! I thought so too :). Plus, it was soooo easy. Thanks FBS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww, shucks, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the honor of eating Justine's peach goat cheese and honey crostini this past weekend. No matter how great the photos make it look, they can't explain the creamy fruity crunchy deliciousness that your tongue falls in love with. Oh so good. When is the cookbook coming out?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, i sure think they are!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great, let us know if you do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm absolutely going to make this this weekend. Drooling. 

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts