Chocolate Bark Grahams: Play with your Food!

When I'm not feeling well, the last thing I want to do is bake. So when my son decided we should bake cookies the other day -- in the midst of my head cold -- I had to get creative. And, I figured, I might as well make him get creative with me. Truly, this is as much a kiddie art project as a cooking project.


My genius/lazy plan was to make chocolate bark on top of graham crackers, thus giving the illusion of a "cookie" without all the work (when you've got a stuffy nose and runny eyes, just turning on the oven smacks of effort). Here's what you'll need:
  • four sheets of whole wheat graham crackers (two servings, according to my box)
  • 1 oz. dark chocolate (at least 70% cocoa)
  • assorted dried fruits, chopped nuts, whatever floats your boat
I set up a few toppings in small bowls: dried cherries, raisins, cranberries, sliced almonds, chopped walnuts, and some almond meal. This is what I had handy, but feel free to use whatever you've got. (I'm thinking coconut and almonds would be an amazing combo.)
Melt the dark chocolate, which is tasty, not too sweet and actually has nutritional benefits. Then you can spoon, dip, 

or drizzle some on each cracker.

That's when it's time to have fun and stick toppings in the melted chocolate.


Then just pop them in the fridge for a few minutes till the chocolate hardens. Be proud of whatever you make: it will taste good, no matter how pretty or messy it is. 

My son made his "cookies" with loads of the dried fruit. But his favorite was one I dipped in the chocolate and then in some almond meal.
These were so easy - and my son had so much fun - that I plan to make them again, even when I'm feeling well!





What toppings will you and your kids use?

Comments

  1. great activity for the kids and a pretty fantastic snack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! I cannot wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Report back when you do! I'd love to hear what topping combos you come up with :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. fun project for our next playdate! ahem...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nancy - just tell me when you guys are coming up and I'll start melting the chocolate :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vin - They are! You'll have to make them to see for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made these with my two-year old this weekend and he loved the project! Flaked coconut with walnut and cranberries was our fave!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmm, sounds like such a good combo. I was definitely remiss in not using coconut on ours. Next time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved this recipe and the kids had a blast making it. Even today Erin wanted her friend to try one of her "healthy smores cookies"! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's great, Susan! Thanks for posting your review :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome! Please come back and tell us how it went :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is happening TONIGHT! I've got cranberries, raisins, almonds, and coconut! Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great, let me know what you think! 

    ReplyDelete
  14. We are so going to do this this week!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts