"Pump Up Your Milk" Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins


I recently came across a can of organic pumpkin puree in my cabinet. I bought it a few months ago with plans to make...something. The problem is that I don't love pumpkin. I bought it because I know it's good for me (it is an excellent source of Vitamin A and is a good source of iron and Vitamin C), not because I particularly wanted to consume it. 

But I was set to visit a friend and her newborn; it would be the perfect opportunity to give her some food that will support her health and her breastfeeding. Plus, I can get rid of the pumpkin!


After playing around with my recipe, I've come to realize that I don't dislike pumpkin...I dislike pumpkin spice. So, I left out the cinnamon and nutmeg and other spices you'd usually find in such muffins. And I added less traditional items (like almond flour and chia seeds) that add protein, fiber, calcium and good fats
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2c honey
  • 1c pureed pumpkin
  • 1/2c (melted) coconut, grapeseed or canola oil 
  • 1/2c unsweetened applesauce 
  • 1t vanilla
  • 1c whole wheat flour
  • 2/3c almond flour
  • 1t baking soda
  • 1/2t salt
  • 1/2t baking powder
  • 1/2c chopped walnuts
  • 1/3c chocolate chips + extra to top muffins (or dried fruit like raisins or cranberries)
  • 2T chia seeds*
  • 3T flaxseed meal*
  • 2T brewer's yeast*
*These additions are optional, but are recommended as they add omega-3s, protein, fiber, calcium and B vitamins to the muffins. Both flax and brewer's yeast may support a healthy milk supply, so these ingredients can be especially great for breastfeeding moms.


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk together the wet ingredients. In another bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix well.


Line muffin tins with paper. Fill each to the top with batter and top each with a chocolate chip (optional). Bake 25-30 minutes for regular muffins, 22 minutes for mini muffins, and 55 minutes for a loaf. They are ready when a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. My yield was 12 mini muffins and 12 regular (not super-sized like you get in coffee houses) muffins; another batch's yield was 12 mini muffins and one loaf.


Cool for a few minutes in the pan on a rack.

Then remove from the pan and cool completely on a rack.
I packed up the larger muffins to take to my friend; she and her three-year-old loved the muffins! The mini muffins were tested by my son. His review:

Do you include pumpkin in your diet? Any other recipes you can suggest that might spark some pumpkin love?

Comments

  1. Pumpkin is available all year round in Australia but only fresh (you will never find a tin of pumpkin here). We eat it at least every other week and this week we already had it in a red curry with chicken and later I will make chicken, pumpkin and zucchini risotto. Last week i made a pasta sauce out of pumpkin puree. I regularly make pumpkin pancakes for my girls - super healthy.

    for sweeter treats that are still kind of healthy I have recipes lined up for pumpkin fritters and a pumpkin slice with a crunchy honey couscous topping.

    anything take your fancy? LOL
    adding fresh to risotto probably easiest and pumpkin pancakes from puree probably most popular with everyone - even Alex who is super picky eats them! I will definitely try a variation on your muffins too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i was gonna tackle pumpkin pancakes next (b/c my guys looove pancakes), but i like these muffins so much i may just make them again (i've been making a batch each week for the past few wks)! I do like pumpkin tortellini with marinara sauce...so I'm thinking i may add some pumpkin puree to my next batch of sauce. Will you share your risotto recipe? That sounds fab!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm not a pumpkin fan either but i sure do dig these muffins.

    ReplyDelete
  4. laughing at H's review. doesn't get any better than that!

    @Deb_in_Oz-- you have me drooling! We eat a lot of butternut squash, and use it in the same way that you've used pumpkin, so I'm inspired! Last Fall, I bought fresh pumpkin, pureed them and put them in the freezer, since pumpkins are not available here year-round. I like to add pumpkin or butternut squash puree to my chili.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nancy - Yes, he literally ate eight of them the first time i baked them! I like the idea of adding the puree to chili - i always add loads of chopped veg to my chili, but never thought about adding pureed stuff, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a pumpkin fan, but these muffins have made me a pumpkin fanatic! Really good Beanie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Got to love Pumpkin Kadu Bouranee: It's one of my favorite Afghan dishes: See link for recipe

    http://www.grouprecipes.com/55198/pumpkins-kadu-bouranee-with-yogurt-sauce.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jennifer - Never heard of that dish, but I looked at your recipe and it sounds amazing! Thanks for broadening my pumpkin horizons :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. the risotto i make is one i throw together in the rice cooker so let me know if you have one of those. BUT originally i got the idea from a recipe for baked risotto (see the evolution from stirring forever to oven to rice cooker = EASY risotto)

    the original recipe is by Donna Hay from the sydney morning herald (so metric measurements):
    1 cup arborio rice
    2 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
    60 g butter
    350 g jap or butternut pumpkin, peeled and diced
    1/2 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
    Cracked black pepper and sea salt
    1 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley

    Preheat oven to 190C. Place arborio rice, stock, butter and pumpkin in an oven-proof dish and cover tightly with a lid or aluminium foil. Bake for 30 minutes, or until rice is soft. Stir through parmesan, pepper and salt and parsley and serve.

    for the years i made it this way i have done with and without butter and fine either way.

    let me know if you want pumpkin pacakes recipe or if you have your own.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Deb - I don't have a rice cooker, but i will try the baked version - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I'm so glad to hear that! Thanks for reporting back :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just finished making them. I was missing a couple of things and substituted and they still came out great. Sam loves them and it's the first time I've gotten him to eat an "orange" food since he was 1! 

    ReplyDelete
  13. You only need a cup for the recipe; i usually freeze the remainder for the next time i make the muffins, or to add to pancakes, chilis, etc. Let me know how they turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  14. is this like a 15 oz can? am hoping to make tomorrow.  

    ReplyDelete
  15. Also shared at the linky party at http://www.newlyweds-blog.com/2012/01/11/newlyweds-recipe-linky-6/

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love love love pumpkin and this amazing recipe.  Oh my!  YES! YES! & YES! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks! I was not a fan of pumpkin until I started making these :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love baking with pumpkin and think this recipe is fabulous!  A must-try!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks, Ann, let us know if you try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Also shared at the pumpkin linky at Part Time House Wife: http://parttimehousewife.com/all-things-pumpkin-recipe-link-up/

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just made these with my 3 1/2 year old assistant chef. Not only were they fun and easy for us to make together, they were delicious- disappeared in record time. I substituted 1 3/4 cups of whole wheat flour for the almond flour due to allergies, which cut the baking time to 20 minutes for the mini muffins. Still delicious- we'll be making these throughout the Fall!

    ReplyDelete
  22. These look and sound great! I love pumpkin stuff, especially at this time of year. And, chocolate in a healthy muffin? Count me in!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts